Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Indochina Express Part 2 - From Cambodia to Vietnam

Here is the second part of my Indochina adventure. 





We had to leave Cambodia after a bit more than a week - which is definitely not enough time to discover this wonderful country! 

We crossed to border to Vietnam by bus. As we had organized our visa in advanced but then slightly changed our itinerary, we entered the country one day in advance. This was enough for the custom officer to refuse our entrance. Not sure if this was an official fee or just the mood of the officer, but after handing him the amount he wanted, the problem was solved. 

We continued our bus ride to Ha Tien. We didn't have to wait long to see the first people with those conical hats as we had seen them in pictures. We soon envied them for those hats becuase the sun gave its really best.



In Ha Tien we had to change busses again - it's very common here that you're picked up by a little bus and then have to change at a bigger bus station. In the next bus we were the only not-vietnamese-speaking people, so we had some trouble to understand why the bus made his first stop just 5 minutes after we started the trip. The other passengers gesticulated to us that we should eat something, but all we wanted was to get ahead. The driver apparently expected other passengers to join him, so he equipped the bus with some plastic stools. 


As we finally started the trip (2h after we had expected), we had a fun ride, crammed between locals on the phone all the time and discussing loudly, some of them on the plastic chairs, with not enough air conditioning and all sorts of interesting smells. I guess this was a very good way to experience Vietnam for the first time! 

We arrived in Can Tho in the evening. Can Tho is the biggest city in the Mekong river and especially famous for its floating markets. The hostel owner was about our age and welcomed us very friendly with some German words. 

I was very happy when we found a vegetarian restaurant for dinner - and even more happy to eat the traditional "Pho" soup in vegetarian style. It was delicious! 


The next day, we got up very early in the morning as our tour startet at 4 a.m. We were joined by guide Linh (who spoke a bit German too as she had watched "Verbotene Liebe", a German soap opera) and a Polish couple. As a group of five, we wanted to explore the famous floating markets. 

When we arrived at the river, our boat and driver were already waiting. During the whole trip, our driver didn't stop to produce jewellery for us - bracelets, hairbands and flowers knotted from palm leaves - and to supply us with fresh fruits - pineapple, which were cut like an ice cream, fresh mango, banana chips - it was wonderful! 


Vietnam fashion made by our boat driver - while driving :-) 

When the sun finally came up, we reached the first floating market. It was fascinating to see how business was made here - everything on the water. People live here on boats for some days to sell their things and then return back at land. 



We had breakfast on the boat - fresh "Pho" soup, made by a woman on a boat. This was the best soup I've ever had! 




Supermarket in front! The spikes with the food indicate what you can buy here.
Our first stop on land was a rice noodle factory. It was really interesting to see how these noodles are made - especially for me who has a very hight noodle soup consumption! :-) 







We left the very touristy area and explored more of the beautiful nature along the Mekong river. It was so nice! 








Sometimes it looked a bit like in the jungle - the only thing that was missing were the crocodiles! Well... Not that I was sad about that, but just for the feeling, you know! :-)


We stopped by a big plantation and saw all kind of flowers and fruits growing. 

Pepper
Pomelo




We could have stayed in the boat much longer, just exploring the Mekong river and the little villages around. But sadly, everything has to come to an end, so we said bye to the ever-smiling driver, our fantastic guide Linh and the Polish couple and after a short break at the hotel we started to explore Can Tho by ourselves. 

A highlight was the restaurant that we found for an early dinner. Here we were forced to roll our own spring rolls. We had to squint a little at the locals to see how they did it, and of course we didn't get it so elegantly - but the spring rolls were still heavenly! 


The next stop was the local market of Can Tho. Not so special as the floating one but still worth to see. It broke only my (vegetarian) heart that the many fish and crabs on the plates were still alive, twitched and could have jumped at any time. 





Inhabitants doing morning sports - it is very common to start with it early in the morning, because it gets too warm very soon
The next day, we started our last trip to Ho Chi Minh City, also known by its old name Saigon. We were fascinated by the cozy bus - it was much better than the ones we are used at home! The seats were close to the floor, but you could stretch your legs fully ("(stow them under the seat of the front one") and move the backrest so far back that you could sleep comfortably. No comparison to our plastic chair adventure a few days before! 

Little tip: If in Vietnam, then absolutely select  "Futa" as bus enterprise! :-) 



We soon noticed the difference between Ho Chi Minh City and the cities we had visited before. This city was huge. The traffic, the noise, the dust - everything was much more. 

We were lucky to check in in a veeery nice hotel called "Liberty Central Saigon Riverside". It was pure luxury after the cheap hostel the nights before. The view from the pool area was just fantastic! 



Typical drink for Vietnam: Coffee with condensed milk. Soo yummy!! 
We started to explore the city. Ho Chi Minh City (short HCMC) reminded me of an Asian New York. The skyscrapers were almost as impressive! 



What fascinated me the most was the contrast all over the city. Very old, shabby buildings in front of brand new skyscrapers. I found this a strange, little world but fascinating. 


We had lunch in the "Secret garden", a restaurant that you don't find if you don't know it exists. Or would you dare to enter a house like this? 


What we found on the rooftop of the house was beautiful and we enjoyed a delicious lunch.  




Off course we had to try one of the well known skyscraper bars in town, so we had a drink at the 52nd floor of the Bitexo Financial tower. The drink was expensive, the bar freezing cold but the view awesome. 



The next day, we had to leave Ho Chi Minh City and Asia already. It was much too short to explore it all but it was a wonderful introduction to a fascinating continent. I'm sure I'll be back one day and explore it more! 

Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop

Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back.  So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here.  Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-)  Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam,  I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven'

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th