Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop


Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back. So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here. 

Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-) 

Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli

One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam, I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven't learned Finnish in the meantime, I gave up this idea quite fast, but at least I remembered that "terve" means hello... :-) )

 I then took the bus to town and had some time for a walk through the city, before I took the bus to Mikkeli (the city where I had studied). 

Helsinki welcomed me with rain, but I didn't care. I took a stroll through the city and found out that it was the last day of the Helsinki Fashion Week. I found quite cool things to see, for example a "Mini house" in the middle of a street. It was designed by Marco Casagrande (quite a funny name for someone who designs tiny houses!) and was a demonstration of dense urban housing. Could you imagine to live in a house that fits on a normal parking space? 


I continued my walk and crossed some of the most famous buildings in Helsinki: The Helsinki Cathedral, the Senate Square... 





... and the beautiful Uspenski Cathedral.

Back at the bus terminal I was very happy to find out that my book  shelf was still there. This bookshelf had supplied me with books during my whole exchange semester and was a must always I was in Helsinki. Off course I couldn't resist to browse through the books again! 



After this short stop in the capital, I took a bus to Mikkeli, which is 3 h south from Helsinki and which had been my home for almost 5 months. It was quite strange to be back there again. Even if the town looked as if nothing had changed and it felt as if I was never away, it wasn't the same without my friends, my bicycle and my little flat. 

Evening colors in downtown Mikkeli
Day 2: A nostalgic walk through the forest and a night alone on an island

The next day, I did what I always loved to do when I lived in Finland: A looong walk through the autumnal forest. If I need some peace and quiet, relaxation and recovery, there's nothing better for me than this. To have time to think while walking along tiny rivers, mushrooms, berries (and probably elks, but so far I haven't been lucky with that! :-) ) - isn't that just a perfect way to start the day? 







I then continued my walk and visited the town of Mikkeli. Honestly, the town isn't really spectacular. But you don't go to Finland to see beautiful towns anyway, right? :-) 


I also stopped by at my favorite café in Mikkeli (if not in whole Finland!) - the café Nanda. I wonder how many hours I spent there, how many coffees I drank and how many cakes I ate - but probably it's better not to know... :-) Too bad it was closed that day, but I just couldn't resist to take some photos. 


Warm socks for the guests - that's my lovely Finland! 


Before I took the bus back to Helsinki, I walked along the lake and enjoyed the fresh finnish air that I had missed so much.



Autumn colors in Mikkeli
I took the bus back to Helsinki. I have always loved those 3h- bus rides. Just sitting in the bus (preferably behind the front window - just for the view! :-) ), looking out the window and enjoy the fantastic landscape with all the lakes and forests - soo relaxing!

Oh, and sometimes I also discover special things on the way! This time I fell in love with a bus stop. Or have you ever seen a bus stop cuter that this one?? :-) 

I arrived in Helsinki just before sunset and had to take the ferry to my hostel which was situated on the island of Suomenlinna (about 10 minutes away from the city). Before entering the ferry, I discovered a new attraction in Helsinki: The Allas sea pool. Where else can you take a swim just next to the harbor with a perfect view on the skyline of Helsinki??


On the ferry to Suomenlinna island...


I arrived in my hostel on the island quite late, so the reception was already closed. I took the key out of the key box and looked for my room. It was quite scary, I didn't hear or see any other person. Alone in a big hostel, on an island, outside it was stormy and dark. Quite a good setting for a horror movie, don't you think? :-) I really had the 7-person-bedroom for myself tonight - but slept surprisingly good. Must be Finnish way of life that is so relaxing! :-) 


Day 3: An island, design and how I ended up in a psychiatric clinic

The next morning, I explored the island of Suomenlinna - a wonderful island just 10 minutes away from Helsinki by boat. Suomenlinna has a very interesting history as a sea forteress was constructed on the island in the 18th century when Finland was still part of the Kingdom of Sweden. You can also still see cannons which remind you of the period when Russia ruled in the 19th century. It was added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage and is really worth to see. 
You can just stroll around, check out a lot of nice, colorful houses, walk along the sea, drink a coffee in the Piper park and enjoy the naval atmosphere. It's wonderful! 











After this early walk, I took the ferry which brought me back to Helsinki where I visited the Old Market Hall (Vanha Kaupahalli) just next to the harbor and enjoyed a delicious breakfast with a view of the harbor. If you're in Finland, make sure you try a KORVAPUSTI, a cinnamon roll. Sooo delicious! 






I then walked up and down the city again, I guess I just let the pictures talk... 









On my way, I discovered another interesting - and quite special - place: The Lapinlahden Lähde (Lapinlahdentie 1) - a former psychiatric hospital with an interesting history. The area, surrounded by the sea and a wonderful park and gardens, was the first psychiatric clinic in Finland and was built more than 170 years ago. Since then, the hospital had treated some very famous patients. Nowadays, the area is an interesting place to visit - and very special if you keep in mind what kind of stories must have happened there! You can walk along the corridors that are still furnished, there is a little café, a second-hand boutique, art exhibitions, a sauna and a great view of the sea. 





The garden of the clinic was used for therapy and self-supply since the beginning (as the doctors were passionate gardeners). Isn't it pretty?
The trip to the psychiatric clinic was very interesting - but I was still happy to get out there again! :-) I walked back to the city center and then spent some time in the design district of Helsinki. I could stayed there for hours - so many shops to discover, so many cafés to try, so much to see! I guess it was good that I travelled with hand-lugagge, it could have gotten expensive otherwise! 



Delicious lunch at Na'am restaurant in the design district






Haven't learned how to resist Finnish design yet...

On my long walk I found the cutest café in whole Finland (so I think): the Café Regatta in the Töölö-district, next to the sea. It's a very tiny house with which you fall in love the moment you see it. There is an open bonfire next to the house which must be awesome on cold days, inside the house is full of kitsch and all kinds of random memorabilia. There are only 4 tables and you immediately feel cozy. Worthless to write that I tried a Korvapusti there, right  (if you are an attentive reader you now know what this is! :-) )? 












Coffee, cinnamon roll and wollen socks - cozyness at its best! 
The evening I spent in the hostel as it got really cold and windy outside. Luckily, I wasn't the only guest anymore and I got in contact with people from Canada, USA and Japan. We sat together, talked about our home countries, about Finland and all the destinations we want to visit - it was great! Such moments make travelling unforgettable, don't they? 

Day 4 - Kiitos, Suomi! And see you soon! 

The time in Finland went too fast and on day four I already had to go back home. In the morning I once again just strolled around the town (that's the nice thing if you know the city already a bit and you don't have to do all the tourist stuff anymore!) and enjoyed the atmosphere of the town I love so much. After a delicious lunch in a Nepalese restaurant, I took the bus to the airport and flew back home (after some stressful moments and a stop in Prague instead of Amsterdam) - already planning my next trip to Finland. 




Yummy lunch at the "Mount everest" restaurant
My trip to Finland was kind of a therapy for me - no, I didn't get any treatment in the psychiatric clinic I told you about, it's just Finland that makes me relaxed and happy immediately. If there was something like a "happy country" insted of just a "happy place" I wouldn't doubt one second to choose mine. But I guess I better not start to write a love poem for Finland now, I just recommend you to try it out yourself! :-) 

In this sense: 


P.S: I plan to write some other posts about Helsinki. As you may guess, I have quite a list of good coffees or shops now! :-) In this way, you will be prepared for your Helsinki trip if you ever plan to go there (which I definitely recommend!!!!). And please tell me about your experiences with Finland, I'm sure it wasn't the last time I've been there! 



Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th