Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Indochina Express Part 1 - Cambodia: Siem Reap, Phom Penh & Koh Rong


In the next posts, I will write about my recent trip to Cambodia and Vietnam with a good friend of mine. We had 2 weeks to explore those two very interesting countries. It was my first time in Asia and I absolutely adored it. It was a whole new world for me and I came back with a big smile on my face - and a lot souvenirs, but that's another story! 2 weeks are definitely much too short for a deep Indochina experience, that's why I call it "Indochina Express". But it was definitely a good start and makes me wanna go back! 

Here is part one of my Indochina adventure - the days in Cambodia. 


After a long, but very comfortable flight from Zurich via Bangkok to Siem Reap, we were welcomed by heat - and by a tuk tuk.  We were sceptical first as our driver didn't seem to care much about traffic rules. As we found out later, this was the normal way of driving, true to the motto "He who honks louder has right of way" or "survival of the fittest". We reached the hotel without any injuries. 


We checked in in our hotel and jumped directly into the pool. What a fantastic feeling after such a long flight! 


Soon after the swim, we started to explore Siem Reap. I liked this city very much, there is so much to see! Even if it's still very Asian, the Western influences are obvious. Burger King meets traditional market, street restaurant meets Starbucks so to say.

Our first highlight was the old market. I guess here you would find absolutely everyhing you would ever want to eat. I couldn't get enough of all the colors and smells, it was amazing. 





Interesting menu!




Despite the jetlag, we joined a tour the first afternoon we were in Siem Reap. We visited the floating village Kompong Pluk, a bit outside of town. All houses are built on high stilts to withstand the annual floods. Depending on the season, you can explore the village on a road, we had to take the boat, there was nothing to see from the road. Impressive! 

Spirits bar? Well... This is a bar for your car - a mobile gas station 
Our expedition boat
Post office











After a very bumpy busride back to town, we wanted to have a taste of Siem Reaps nighlife, so we explored the Night Market (an invention that we definitely should introduce in Europe!!) and the Pub Street. We both loved both! 



We also tried Cambodias national dish - Amok. The original version is made of baked fish, lemongrass, chili and coconut, I ate a delicious vegetarian version. Yummy!! 


We were happy to fall in our beds after this veery long travel day. But as we wanted to explore moremoremore, we didn't treat ourselves with much sleep, but set the alarm clock at 4 a.m. the next morning for the next tour. This day, we wanted to see the number one tourist attraction of Cambodia: the temples of ANGKOR, one of the most important religious monuments on earth.

We started our tour very early in the morning and were picked up by the guide in the hotel. He was a human joking machine (or drunk, we weren't sure), I guess because he had to entertain himself somehow while telling everything for the 999th time. His "Angkor Whaaaat?!?!" was still ringing in our ears days after! 

Already at 5:00 a.m. the queue in front of the ticket office was long. We paid the 37 dollar entrance fee and then waited for the sun to rise - together with at least 500 other tourists. To be honest, it was quite hard to get a good picture without a head or a selfie stick on it! :-) But nevertheless the view was fantastic and the temple in front of the orange-pink sunrise magical! 

Angkor Wat is waking up
What you normally dont (wanna) see on the pictures



After seeing the sunrise at Angkor Wat, we continued our tour - our guide still joking and entertaining mainly himself. 







Angkor Wat is very impressive - hard to imagine how they built it these times! 





After the first temple, we had a delicious breakfast - a traditional noodle soup. It was wonderful!  


Full of soup and new energy we continued with the 2nd temple, which probably was my favourite one. It is very known from the movie "Tomb Raider" and even if his original name is Ta Prohm it is widely known by Cambodian people as the "Angelina Jolie" Temple. I loved the fusion between stone and tree roots, it had something magical.

The entrance of "Angelina Jolie temple"







Do you see it? :-) 
The whole area of the Angkor temples is huge and a 3 day-pass is highly recommendable, there is sooo much to see. Unfortunately we had only one day time. The third temple we visited is called "Bayon" and is the temple with 216 faces. Do you see them on the photos below? 




The Angkor visit was definitely one of the higlights of this trip. I could have stayed there much longer even if I was tired after 3 temples already. Who knows, maybe the gods are good to me and I can come again? 

The next day, we already had to continue our trip and took a bus to the capital city of Cambodia - Phnom Penh.

Meanwhile we had gotten used to the chaotic road traffic and had therefore afforded ourselves a Tuk Tuk driver for a whole day. We started with two very sad things to see in Phom Penh: the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and the Killing Fields of Choeung Ex. They both reflect the terrible time of Paul Pot Genocide during which millions of Cambodian people were killed. The audio guides at both places are excellent and we learned a lot about the history of the country. After the visit, we both felt very depressed, sad and sorry for all the victims. We needed some minutes to "digest" the information. As you can imagine, I didn't take any pictures of those two places, bit I really recommend them to visit. 

To cheer us up, we continued our tuk tuk ride to the Russian market and then to the Royal Palace. The buildings that all belong to the Royal Palace were impressive! 




We also met some hairy, banana eating royalists... 




I'm not sure if it was the heat or a bad ice cream that upset my stomach, but in the evening I felt really bad and couldn't really enjoy the evening. Gladly, the next day I was ready for travelling again, so we continued our trip. This time to Koh Rong, an island about 1.5h from Sihanoukville by boat. 

Already from the ferry we saw that we will soon arrive in paradise. White sandy beaches, blue water, palmtrees, bungalows. It seemed surreal after what we'd seen in Phom Penh, but we soon felt into a very relaxed mood. We found a little camping lot, run by a Swiss couple. Here we would spend 3 nights and meet my sister, her boyfriend and his parents. My sister & her boyfriend are currently on a longer trip through Asia and coincidence wanted our paths to cross at this paradisiacal place. We spent three fantastic days and nights there.
Our home for 3 days




Papaya salad - just yummy!






Sunset after a rainy night
The last full day, we splitted the group. While one group did a boat tour with snorkeling, fishing and plankton swimming, me and my sister decided to stay on the island and do a little walk. We first walked to the next village Koh Tuich. It was good fun, a lively village with a lot of backpackers, shops and parties. We continued our "little" walk and wanted to take a shortcut to Long Beach. As we found out this short cut let through the middle of a jungle. Great idea with flipflops! We tried to forget about the snakes and spiders that might accompanied us, crawled up the forest and then climbed down again. We arrived at a beautiful and lonely beach wet, dirty and happy. Back at the campside again, we decided to treat ourselves after the hiking hardships and enjoyed one hour of Thai massage. 

The village of Koh Tuich



The next day, my friend and me already had to leave the island. As we had to wait for breakfast forever, we said goodbye in all hustle and bustle and almost ran to the boat dock. My sister and her boyfriend even ran after me with my French toasts. Unfortunately we were too late and the ferry had gone without us. This meant: 6 h wait for the next ferry. Well... Waiting at the beach, enjoying the sea again and an iced coffeee wasn't too bad, but still we were a bit pissed. We finally caught the next ferry and we got to Sihanoukville, but the ferry had to stop at a different place and we had to take the bus back, which made us miss the bus again. It wasn't our day that day. As we waited for the next one, my sister and her companion met us again. It was at the same time to laugh and to cry.



As we were that late, we had to cancel our plans to go to Kep (no taxi wanted to drive there during the night as the road is so bad) and bought a ticket to Kampot. The bus was veeery cozy as it was a sleeping bus and we could lay down during the 4h drive. 


In the cozy sleeping bus

We arrived very late in Kampot and needed some tries until we found a guesthouse that was still open. But we were warmly welcomed by a Cambodian family and probably got their nicest room. I've never slept in a bigger bed - after some nights in a tent this was heaven on earth! 


The next day we took a bus and crossed the border to Vietnam. The post about this will follow sooon... :-)


Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop

Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back.  So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here.  Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-)  Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam,  I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven'

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th