Direkt zum Hauptbereich

A wonderful week in Madeira (or: How it all started with ugly Ronaldo)



«Did you see the Ronaldo statue at the airport»? This was probably the most asked question when I told my friends about the trip to Madeira. When thinking of Madeira, most people probably think of pensioneers, flowers and – as I said before – Cristiano Ronaldo, soccer player and Madeiras most famous citizen with an almost more famous statue. I didn’t know much either about the Island but be sure – you will read a very enthusiastic post here! 

--------------------------------------------------------------

«I found him!!!», I heard my boyfriend scream just minutes after we walked out of the airport terminal. He pointed at a little black statue and was laughing out loud. «Here he is! Ronaldo’s ugly statue!». This statue had become famous just after it was inaugurated some years ago. Unfortunately not because of its beauty - on the contrary! The whole world mocked the little bust which had a very strange smile and didn't really look like its original. It was then built again and is now positionned at Madeira airport.
Some Selfies with (fake) Ronaldo, then we started our Madeira adventure. 

The famous (not so ugly anymore) Ronaldo bust at Madeira Airport

With its
741 km2 and approx. 268'000 inhabitants, Madeira is quite small. You can explore most of the things in one week, but you have to be aware that the roads are very narrow, very hilly and sometimes very steep. We loved it to drive around - even if we felt bad for our little Peugeot 302, who brought us up and down the mountains bravely but with several effort.

In every direction the landscape seems to look different – from the very rough North to the almost jungle-like looking West to French Riviera-looking South, we experienced it all. I quickly fell in love with this beautiful Island, its landscapes and its friendly people. Here is a description of our trip to Madeira and what we did the specific days. I hope it gives you some Inspiration. As always, you find some practical tips at the end of this post. 

We stayed in a hotel called «Savoy Saccharum Resort & Spa» in Calheta. We really enjoyed it – especially because we are not used to such luxurious places. To be honest: To start the day with a glass of champagne is not a bad life, right? 

The view from our hotel
Day 1- Go West

We started to explore Madeira by driving West. Our first stop was Paul do mar, known for it’s black sand beach. Not too cozy for relaxing at the beach, but still nice to see!  We even stopped by a banana plantation and were surprised that bananas grow there. We already felt far away from Europe, even if we weren't.



Costa Rica? No! Madeira! 

We continued driving and were impressed by the views. It was quite hard not to stop at every lookout-point ("miradouro")!



In a local restaurant, we ate «Bolo do caco» (garlic bread) , a dish that would soon be my favourite Madeira dish. As a vegetarian, it’s not so easy to find a big variety of food but to escape salads «Bolo do caco» was awesome. 

Our favourite stop of the day was Ponta do pargo. With ist lighthouse and the impressive cliffs, it was the perfect place to catch a first glimpse of Madeira.




Next stop was Achadas do Cruz, a very cute little village. Unfortunately it started raining and we didn’t stay too long. As we soon learned, the weather in Madeira can change very quickly and it can be different in every region. Knowing this helped us pretty much to plan our excursions!


We met some four-legged locals on the way... 


... and were welcomed by a rainbow over the harbor of Calheta. 


Day 2: Southern glory

The next day, we explored the Southern part of the island and drove all the way down from Calheta to Camara de Lobos. Even if it sounds like nothing, we drove the whole day, stopped at a lot of miradouros (lookout-points), curved up and down narrow streets and sometimes even through a waterfall that came down in the middle of the street. If you feel nauseous very fast, Madeira is probably not the perfect destination for you.

On the way we found some impressive (and a bit scary) tunnels. Sometimes you even had to drive under a little waterfall if you wanted to continue the street! I'm happy our little Peugeot survived and that we didn't have to give it back with a bump on the roof! :-) 




Car wash anyone?

We had a stop in Ponta do sol, a very nice town next to the sea. With its beautiful waterfront and the old town with its cobblestoned streets and litttle restaurants, it's a perfect holiday destination and it reminded us a bit of Italy or the French riviera.








Next stop was Cabo Girao, known for its steep cliffs. With a height of about 560 m, this cliffs are some of the highest in Europe. The view from there was amazing! 




Our last stop of the day was Camara de lobos. It once was the favourite spot of  Winston Churchill who came here often paint. We had a wonderful lunch at the «Forma de acucar» restaurant with a view over the little town.





A Coral beer and a "Bolo do caco" bread makes a perfect lunch! 
Day 3: Funchal, Madeiras capital

This day, we explored Madeiras capital city, Funchal. We had heard in advance that the city wasn’t very nice, but indeed we liked it very much! The broad streets with a lot of street artists and musicians, the colorfully painted doors at Rua de Santa Maria, the small restaurants and taverns – it was a lovely day!

The main tourist attraction in Funchal is the cable car that brings you up to Monte, the hill with the botanical garden. We were shocked about the prices for the cable car, so we decided to skip the nice view and just take the car. Once crawled up the hill with little Peugeot, we took a stroll through the botanical garden. To be honest, I was almost more impressed by the beautiful view over Funchal and the sea than by the plants. The evening light turned everything in gold and we could have stayed there for some more hours with a cold beer, just enjoying the atmosphere. Unfortunately, we were torn from our dreams by the restaurant owner with a rough «We close in 30 minutes».


Streets of Funchal






Street art project "Portas abertas"



The botanical gardens high above Funchal




Day 4: Madeiras rough North

Next direction on our list was North. It became one of our favourites. Different to the more Tropical South that reminded me even a bit of Costa Rica, the North is much more rough. We took the most direct way to the North – but direct doesn’t always mean the fastest here. Instead of driving all the way along the beautiful coast, we took the mountain pass road, drove up and down and our little, white Peugeot endured this stoically. Just behind Arcos de Calheta, we were surprised by an area that reminded us of Scotland – the Paul de serra plateau. It was grey, foggy and instead of other tourists we just found some cows next or just on the street. We really liked this special atmosphere!






After driving all the way down again (what little Peugeot did with joy) the sun came back and we stopped in Porto Moniz, Madeiras most northern point. The view over the ocean (much more waves here than in the South!) was beautiful and we couldn’t resist to hop into one of the «Piscinas naturais», the natural pools next to the sea (also called "lavapools" even if they are not warm). We were surprised how warm the water was! 

Ilheus de Ribeira Janela stone formation


Porto Moniz and the lavapools from above

Let's have a swim in the lavapools!






We also stopped at the grottos of Sao Vicente and took a little guided tour there...


... then continued and enjoyed the beautiful views of Madeiras Northern parts...




Day 5: Reet houses, hidden beaches and a spontaneous hike – Madeiras East

Our last directions was the East, so we took the «Scotlandroad» again and drove to Santana. Even if this weren’t much kilometers, it took us quite a long time to get there. Santana itself was very cute. They have some traditional «casas de colmo» (reet houses) with little shops in them. Very touristy, but still very nice. 



Santana was followed by one of the biggest highlights of our trip. We drove to Ponta de Sao Lourenco and found Prainha, a little hidden bay with a beautiful beach and a cute beach café. Madeira isn’t famous for its beautiful beaches, in fact there are not many where you can really swim, so we were veeery happy to found one and enjoyed it accordingly.




We drove a bit further up and explored Ponta de Sao Lourenco. We were so amazed by the landscape that our little pitstop turned into a two hour-hike. I let the pictures talk here. Isn’t it beautiful?







Day 6 – So long, Madeira!

Sadly, we had to leave Madeira at this day. Even if we had seen so many things and the Island isn’t that big, we had gotten into such a relaxed mood that it was hard to say goodbye. The flight back to Lisbon was without any problems, even if Funchal Aiport  Funchal Airport is known that it has one of the most dangerous runways in the world.Watching YouTube videos with the Keyword «Funchal Airport Landings» is definitely not recommended!

Madeira is definitely worth a visit and a good tip for everyone as it is so versatile. I hope I will have the chance to go there soon again, to say Hi to the (not so ugly anymore) Ronaldo statue again and to eat a delicious «Bolo do caco»! 

----------------------------------------


Tips for a trip to Madeira
  • What to eat and drink: 
    • In Madeira, you almost cannot miss the "Bolo do caco" (Garlic bread). Normally it is served as a starter even if you haven't ordered it. You smell bad afterwards, but at least you’re protected from Vampires.
    • If you like fresh fish and meat, Madeira will be your island. For vegetarians, it's a bit more difficult but not too bad either. 
    • You just have to eat more "Pastel de nata", the yummy cream tart.  It is so delicious and small that it’s not too hard to eat two.
    • Make sure you try a Madeira wine and the local Poncha liquor, it's delicious! If you're ever in Calheta, make sure to have dinner at "Convento Das Vinhas". We ate there twice and loved it (great food, very friendly staff!)
  • Madeira Weather: The weather in Madeira changes a lot and can be different in every region. The hotel manager gave us the link for a very good website with webcams for all the different regions on the island. There you can check the weather and then decide where to go. It's very helpful! --> Link
  • Where to stay: We were lucky and found a very good offer for the "Savoy Saccharum Resort & Spa" Hotel in Calheta. It was absolutely fantastic! We loved the infinity pool, the large breakfast buffet, our hotel room with sea view and off course the Spa. Keep you eyes open for special offers, it's worth it! 
  • What to do: If you love hiking, Madeira is definitely your island! There are a lot of "levadas" where you can do beautiful hiking tours. It's normally very good signalized so you won't lost your way. Just make sure you're prepared for some rain! One of our highlights was the swim in the ocean in one of the natural pools in Porto Moniz. Otherwise it's nice to just drive around and stop wherever you feel like! :-)

Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop

Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back.  So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here.  Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-)  Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam,  I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven'

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th