Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Jordan and the smell of cardamom

When I think of Jordan, two things immediately come to my mind: firstly the incredibly hospitable, warm people. And secondly: The wonderful smell of cardamom that accompanied me throughout the whole trip. It resonated with every sip of the strong, Turkish coffee, and seemed to follow me wherever I walked in the streets. But that 's not the only reason Jordan has a special place in my heart: It is an incredibly diverse country with a fascinating history, dreamlike landscapes, good food and - it should be said here again - perhaps the friendliest people I have ever met. 

"Welcome to Jordan" was always the first sentence of people that I started talking with. I felt incredibly welcome. And that's maybe also the reason why we never really felt unsafe, even if the political situation in the neighboring countrys is very difficult at the moment and had worsened a lot just before our trip started. We were not sure wheter it was safe to travel at the moment, some of the places where we stayed literally were separated from Israel only by a small patch of the Dead Sea. But then we decided to do it. And I'm glad we did. The ongoing situation still makes our hearts heavy and overshadowed our journey from time to time. Our thoughts are still firmly with the people who are suffering. Even more now that we get to know more of the culture and the people. And yet we are incredibly grateful that we were able to make this trip and that everything went so well. We were looked after so well and felt very safe and surrounded by good and friendly people. 


The reason for me to visit Jordan was an invitation to a Swiss-Jordan wedding. That was of course not to miss - and why not combine the celebrations with a road trip? My mother joined me on this trip, and for some parts also my sister with her boyfriend and little daughter. Kind of a family trip! 

We were travelling with a driver who had been recommended to us by a colleague. Sami was fantastic - and looked after us as if we were family members. Already on the first day he provided us with delicious sweets that made our teeth stick together, showed us the spots for the best falafel and was always concerned about our well-being. Everything was perfectly organized and he was more on time than the Swiss people were. So: If you need a great driver in Jordan let me know! 

Our itinerary

Our one week roadtrip took us from the lively capital city of Amman to Mount Nebo and the Dana Biosphere Reserve, then to the place that is on the bucket list of so many people: The old city of Petra. We continued to the desert of Wadi Rum that served as film setting in movies like Starwars, The Martian and Lawrence of Arabia. Later, we enjoyed one night in Aqaba at the Red sea and then continued to the Dead Sea for the festivities before flying back from Amman. 

Amman - the lively capital

Amman is a great city to start a round trip in Jordan. It was built on 7 hills and hosts more than 4 million inhabitants. It offers a funny mix - you will find chaotic souks (markets) next to Roman ruins and modern shopping malls. The streets are bustling with people, cars squeeze close together, you will hear the chanting sounds from the minarets in the same time market vendors try to bring their wares to the customers. You shouldn't miss it! 

My highlights in Amman are definitely

  • the Citadel: Ancient ruins with the best view over the city
  • The Roman Theatre: a veeery old theatre where you can join events - or just admire the site and and imagine what it must have looked like here in the past.
  • You will find looong crowds before the "Habibah" store - Apparently they have the best sweets in town! 
  • I would never have thought to recommend a place like this but make sure you visit the Royal Automobile Museum. Even if you're not a big fan of cars - it's amazing! 
  • The best Falafel in town you find at a place called "Abu Jbara". At least that's what we were thought. And they were delicious indeed!! 
  • Discover the Souks of Amman and stroll along piles of spices and vegetables, racks full of perfume and a whole lot of plastic stuff that made us wonder who needed it.
  • Try some good, strong Turkish coffee in one of the street shops of Amman. You'll love the smell of Cardamom in it - and will not close your eyes for some hours! 









First stop - Mount Nebo

On our first day on the road, we took the beautiful King's highway that led us to Mount Nebo, a mountain that is not far away from Amman and that is an important pilgrimage site. With a height of 808 m, it offers a fantastic view over the Dead Sea, the Valley of Jordan and even Israel. It is definitely worth a visit. 




Once we had passed the winding roads coming down from Nebo, we arrived at the Dead Sea and drove along the Dead Sea Highway. Ooh, how I was looking forward to jump into the Dead Sea and to experience the sensation of floating soon! 


We did a short pitstop at Wadi Mujib, a canyon that is well known by tourists. We decided not to enter it, but the short glimpse into the canyon was quite impressive. 


Another highlight followed soon after Wadi Mujib: The Dana Biosphere Reserve, Jordans largest nature reserve, well known for hiking. Here the King's Highway winds its way back into the mountains and the higher you get, the more fantastic the views! 




A nice discovery was the village of Dana Village. Built about 400 years ago, it is almost extinct nowadays. Almost all families have moved away for better jobs and schools. But when Dana was declared a nature reserve, some families returned to renovate their houses and accommodate tourists. We particularly liked the Dana Tower Hotel, on whose roof terrace we could - oh wonder! - we drank wonderful coffee. 



A dream came true - Petra! 

Of course, you can't travel to Jordan without visiting Petra, the ancient, mystical Nabatean city, important UNESCO heritage side and one of the seven new world wonders. It has been on my bucket list for a very long time and finally this dream came true.

The city, also called "pink city" because it is carved into pink sand stone, has a lot to offer - temples, tombs, theatres, hiking trails, viewpoints... One could easily spend several days there! And that's only the beginning - It is estimated that only about 20 % of the former city has been excavated to date.

Petra is stunning - here are some tips on how to enjoy it best:
  • Start early and get the best views before all the tourist groups come. We were at the entrance at 6 a.m. and that was totally worth it! The calmness of the early morning and the light change after sunrise were breathtaking! And like that, you safe some hours in the heat. In the afternoon, it's quite chaotic and we were happy to escape. 
  • Petra is big, so avoiding the heat totally is probably impossible. Bring plenty of water and food!
  • Wear good shoes as you will walk some kilometers.
  • There are several hiking trails. We walked up to the Monastery and back. It was quite exhausting, mostly because of the heat, but there were a lot of shops and cafés on the way so there was not one boring second. 
  • Plan enough time - one full day is just about enough to get an idea of Petra. Two would be better.














The town in which the Petra side is located is called Wadi Musa (valley of Moses). It's the place where most of the tourists stay for a night. We were so lucky to find an amazing hotel called "Infinity Lodge". The staff was wonderful, the food delicious - and the rooms just perfect. It was also perfectly located - we had 15 minutes by foot to the visitor center and entrance to Petra. 





Our next highlight was the Desert of Wadi Rum, in english Valley of the moon. And indeed, the landscape is somewhat reminiscent of a lunar landscape as seen in films. 

From the visitor centre in the village of Wadi Rum we were picked up by a jeep and driven into the desert. We stayed at Quiet Village Camp, a camp in the middle of the desert. It was amazing! 

From there, various activities were offered, such as jeep tours or camel treks, but also sandboarding hiking, climbing or even paragliding would be possible in Wadi Rum. We decided to do a Camel tour and then - because the camel was a bit too slow to explore more in one day - a Jeep tour as well. It was totally worth it. We saw canyons, impressive arches, sand dunes and a fantastic sunset, just to name a few. 















Coming out of the peaceful desert into another rumbling city was quite a shock. The next stop on our list of Aqaba. Even if it's only one hour away from Wadi Rum, it is a completely different world. Aquaba is a relaxed and pleasant city at the red sea, famous for it's coral gardens. 

Unfortunately, we were still so caught up in our desert movie that we didn't give Aqaba our full attention and left it at a few walks through the city, the souk and along the sea. Nevertheless, we liked it! 

In Aqaba, we slept in a good hotel called "Joar Beach Hotel". It was only a few meters away from the beach and the view was fantastic. 






The next day we said goodbye to Aqaba and drove along the Dead Sea Highway to the wedding location at the Dead Sea. The hotel we stayed in was the most luxurious on our whole trip - and off course we enjoyed it very much, even if we felt a bit wrong entering with shoes still full of red sand. The Mövenpick Resort Dead Sea is an amazing hotel that is located right at the Dead Sea. It didn't take long and we jumped into the sea - and experienced the phenomenon of floating in the water without sinking. Of course, the obligatory photo with the newspaper had to be taken! 








Our trip ended with a amazing, joyful wedding party at the Dead Sea that we will remember forever. It was a perfect mix of Swiss and Jordanian culture, with lots of good music and even more good food. Like this, this has to be a happy marriage, don't you think? 

The next morning we jumped into the Dead Sea for a last time, treated ourselves to a thick mud pack and enjoyed what was probably the most sumptuous breakfast buffet of our lives. 

Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and we had to start our journey back to Amman airport and fly back home.

This trip to Jordan was simply wonderful - and I can really recommend the country to everyone. Here are a few last tips, the rest you can discover for yourself. ;-) 


All the best,
Valentina

3 general tips for Jordan: 
  • Buy the Jordan Pass before travelling. You can purchase it online and with the pass, you can safe the money for your entrance visa as well as the entrance fee in many sites (e.g. Petra & Wadi Rum). 
  • If you're looking for a good driver let me know - ours (Sami) was amazing and I can definitely recommend it. But no worries: Jordan would also be a great country for a self-driving roadtrip! ;-) 
  • One week is the minimum for a roadtrip in Jordan. There is so much to see! 2 weeks would definitely be better! :-)



Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop

Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back.  So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here.  Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-)  Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam,  I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven'

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th