Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Sevilla - la maravilla

 "Quien no ha visto Sevilla no ha visto maravilla"


"Who has not seen Seville has not seen wonder". 

This quote could not express better what Sevilla is for me: a truly magical, vibrant place, full of wonder, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I've been there several times already and still am fascinated by its beauty and the atmosphere. A city with a long history, beautiful buildings, palaces and parks. In which you can sit outside for hours, sipping a glass of wine, just enjoying its atmosphere and people, always with a little bit of Flamenco in your ear. I immediately feel home when I arrive there. Feel connected to the city and its people. I can't explain what it is, but somehow Sevilla is a miracle. If you want to experience yourself, here are a few recommendations.


To start with a few general tips: 

- How to reach: Sevilla is easy to reach by plane. There is a shuttle bus that brings you to the city center (line EA, 4 Euros for one way). 

- When to go: In summer it is getting extremely hot in the city and you're constantly seeking shade. So july and august are probably not the best months to go there - also because a lot of shops are closed then. I've been in october the last time which was fantastic - still warm, but not hot anymore - simply perfect!

- How to get around: Sevilla always surprises me how big it is (I will never learn it...), so you walk quite some kilometers if you explore everything by foot. Quite a great way to get around are the rental bikes of "Sevici" that you find at almost every corner. You can download an app in advance and then use the bikes as much as you want. The paths for bicycles are good and you are a lot faster! There are also e-scooters to rent for those who want to be even faster. 

- Where to stay: I normally stayed at the house of my former host mum, but can recommend the hostel "El viajero en Sevilla", a very cute house with cozy rooms, in the middle of the center and very close to the Guadalquivir river. 
Another great place to stay would be the "EME Cathedral Mercer", a five star hotel next to the Giralda. I normally use their rooftop terrace to sip a Mojito and enjoy the view, but who knows: Maybe one day I will treat myself with a night there. 


What to do

Sevilla is full of highlights and sightseeing spots, so make sure you plan enough time to visit them! Some of the most important spots I will share with you in this post.


1. The old town of Sevilla (Barrio Santa Cruz)

Sevillas old town is a beautiful labyrinth of alleys in which you probably gonna get lost at least once. You will find beautiful narrow streets with shops, a lot of restaurants and wine bars. Ooh, and shade off course, just in case you ignored my recommendations and travel there in summer... 

Make sure you visit the Santa Cruz-part of the old town, the former jewish quarter. It is located next to the cathedral and the Real Alcazar. 








2. Don't forget to eat and drink! 

Sevilla wouldn't be the same without its bodegas and tapas bars. You will find hundreds of cute places to sit down, enjoy a local wine and taste some of the local tapas. 



Oh, and let me point out one of my favorite dishes in town: The churros con chocolate that you can order already for breakfast. Probably one of the most unhealthy ways to start your day, but probably also one of the happiest! 


3. Stroll along the Guadalquivir river

The waterfront next to the Guadalquivir river is a great place to stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere. There is always something going on there! 



On the opposite side of the river is Triana, a quarter famous for the Flamenco. There, you find a lot of restaurants, bars and tablaos in which you can enjoy the real Flamenco. 




4. Enjoy the view from Metropol Parasol

Sevilla has a new attraction which does not seem to fit into the environment at first sight: The "Metropol parasol", a construction made out of wood, concrete and steel that looks a bit like giant mushrooms (this is why it is also called "Las Setas" by locals, means "the mushroom"). But make sure that after the first shock you buy a ticket (5 euros) to get up on the construction. From there, you have a magnificent view over the city and its surroundings! 



5. Explore the palaces of Sevilla - Real Alcazar and Casa Pilatos

Next to the beautiful cathedral, which is a highlight itself, lies the Real Alcazar, a palace complex with beautiful gardens, built in the Mudéjar style (a mix of Arabian and Christian elements). This palace is impressive and hard to explain. As you can imagine, it is very popular for tourists and therefore I recommend you to book your ticket online in advance. 







In case you prefer less people, I recommend you the Casa Pilatos, somehow a mini version of the Real Alcazar, built in the 16th century. It is extremely beautiful and much more relaxing! 





6. Sevilla by night

Sevilla is magical during the day too. But for me, the city reveals its real character when the sun goes down. Then, everyone seems to come out (probably also because the heat has gone), the restaurants are crowded, everywhere are people, music, laughter and noise. People strolling around, enjoying the evening, buildings turning into a golden shimmer, such a vibrant atmosphere! 

My favorite places to spend the evenings are in the Triana quarter or in the Alameda de Hercules, a square full of restaurants. 



7. Plaza de España

The most beautiful square in Sevilla - and probably also the biggest! Withs its water canals and bridges, its almost a little Venice in Spain. It is most beautiful during the evening hours, when the sun turns everything into a golden light. There are always musicians, painters or dancers which make the experience even more unforgettable. Oh, and weddings, photoshoots, video shoots,... 

But let me tell you: This plaza is also called "frying pan of Andalusia", so make sure you don't visit it during the hottest hours of the day as the temperatures then are unbearable. 





And because there is so much more to do: 6 more tips for your perfect trip to Sevilla: 

- The cathedral and Giralda: Sevillas top highligh, the biggest gothic church in Spain and one of the biggest worldwide. From top of the Giralda (clocktower), you have the best view over the city. And the best thing: You don't even have to climb stairs as there are ramps that bring you to the top. 

- Palacio de las dueñas: Another beautiful palace from the 14th century that you can visit. 

- Parque Maria Luisa: A huge, beautiful park where you can relax - or just go jogging, there are some kilometers to do in there! 

- Treat yourself in "Aire Sevilla": a hamam in the middle of the old town. A wonderful building in the Arabian style. Great baths and treatments - perfect after a long day in the city! 

- Enjoy Flamenco in one of the many tablaos! There are a lot of places where you can see a flamenco show. A lot of them are quite touristic, so make sure you choose a spot where you see the authentic flamenco. The best indicator: The shows don't start at 20:00 but "something after 22:00"... My favorites are "La Carboneria" (Calle Levies 18) or the Pena Torre Macarena (Calle Torijano 29). 

- Sip a mojito at the rooftop bar of the "EME Hotel". I can't be in Sevilla without doing this at least once. On top of this 5* hotel you find an amazing terrace from where you have the perfect view over the cathedral. It's quite busy during the evening, but if you're lucky you get a table and can see a wonderful sunset. Cheers! 


Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop

Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back.  So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here.  Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-)  Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam,  I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven'

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th