Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Rain, wind, sun and rainbows - a weekend at the North sea




I would not have thought that I would be there again so soon after my last trip to the north of Germany (--> Link). But who explores the Baltic Sea has to discover the North Sea as well! And so it happened that I had the chance to spend a great weekend at the North Sea recently. Here is my travelogue. 

It's relatively easy to get to the North Sea. By train or plane to Hamburg, then from there by rental car. After not even 2 hours drive we already reached Sankt Peter-Ording, the sand paradise of the North Sea. Where else do you find a 12 km long sandy beach in Germany? The city is quite big and has grown together from 4 districts. Everywhere there are small shops and restaurants, it is nice to stroll around. And: Perfect to find shelter when it rains like cats and dogs. We quickly learned that this happens quite often here and that its a good idea to have your raicoat ready all the time.  










 We explored the surrounding area with our rental car and visited the lighthouse of Westernheversand, known mainly as a "model" for the Jever beer advertising. We did a nice walk and observed the high tide slowly coming in. Quite a fascinating scene - and also a bit scary! We've been told it's better to head back as soon as the tide comes in. Otherwise it could be quite dangerous. 



The tide coming in. One hour later, the grassland will be under water. 
Lighthouse Westerheversand


After the walk we returned to Sankt Peter-Ording and wanted to have a drink at the nice restaurant built on pile dwellings. But we had underestimated the tide - or how would you manage to get to the restaurant on the photo below? :-) 


Compared to the Baltic Sea, the North Sea is much rougher. Wind, rain and sun alternate almost every minute. In this rhythm you also change your clothes - jacket on, jacket off, sweater off, sweater on. Here you feel very close to nature and experience the tides up close. I was very fascinated! 

The "Mary Poppins experiment"

At the North Sea, one absolutely must undertake a mudflat hike. According to my travel guide, the mud flat is defined as the transitional area from the solid land to the sea that is overflowed at high tide and "dries" at low tide. You can imagine that this change creates a fascinating ecosystem with millions of creatures like crabs, snails and worms. 
A mudflat hike is an exciting experience, but it is absolutely essential to follow the instructions on site. Nobody wants to be swallowed by the mudflats!
If you're very interested it's a good idea to do a guided tour which are offered on site. 

 





Fortunately we still had time to explore the surrounding islands. All right, only 2 of them. But this is a beginning, isn't it? Instead of visiting the most popular island of all - Sylt - we decided for 2 smaller ones: Hooge and Amrum. With a ferry, which left at Nordstrand, we reached the 2 islands problem-free and quite comfortably. 



At Hooge we found (besides rain, wind, sun and rainbows as always) sheep, green meadows and beautiful reed houses. There was not much going on, the more we enjoyed the green idyll in the middle of the sea. We rented a tandem and curled around the island. 









The second island was Amrum, a bit bigger and more touristy than Hooge. But also this one was wonderfully green and wide. 



The ferry took us back to Nordstrand and we arrived there when the sun slowly disappeared on the horizon. But it was just enough to reach the wonderful city of Husum. We had never expected to meet such a picturesque city - the small harbour, the beautiful houses and the relaxed evening atmosphere inspired us! 



Unfortunately we already had to go home the next day. Too bad! We would have loved to stay even longer, there would have been so much to discover! 
On the way home we stopped at the Eider Barrage (Eidersperrwerke) near Tönning, Germany’s largest coastal protection structure with the purpose of protecting the surroundings from storm surges by the North Seas. Quite an impressive construction! 

Oh, and not to forget: Look what we finally found! 

Finally! A seal! 
 We had the chance to do another pitstop - which was really worth it! In Brunsbüttel, it is possible to visit the locks of the "Kiel Canal" (german Nord-Ostsee-Kanal, NOK). If you are as fascinated by seafaring as I am, this is the ideal place to sit down and do "shipwatching". This canal that connects the Baltic with the North sea was opened in 1895, is 95 kilometers long and is passed by about 30 thousand ships per year (not counting all the sport boats and sailing ships) - more than the Panama or Suez canal. 

If you have time, make sure you do a guided tour here. Our tour with a very experienced guide was very interesting! 



After a while of "ship spotting" I would like to go home with the cargo ship. Was of course not possible. But gave me good ideas for further trips! :-) 

The North Sea is really worth a trip. Even if the Baltic Sea is a little more "lovely", the North Sea has its own charm. The harsh weather and the changing tides on the one hand, wonderful idyllic landscapes, small islands and sweet houses on the other hand - who likes extreme contrasts and rubber boots will love it here! 










Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop

Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back.  So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here.  Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-)  Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam,  I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven'

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th