Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Our African adventure. Part 1: Namibia along the Trans-Kalahari highway

In the following posts I will write about the Africa trip I did with my family (mum, dad an sister) this February / March. I will split it in several parts to be able to post maaaany photos! :-) The trip lasted 5 weeks and was full of highlights. We started in Windhoek, Namibia, and explored the country in a guided 12 days-G Adventures-tour called "Cape and Dunes Discoverer". We ended up in Capetown, South Africa, from where we started to explore South Africa on our own. After 5 weeks, we had to say goodbye to Africa and flew back from Johannesburg to Zurich. Let me now share my memories with you.



---------------------------------------------------------


Our Namibia-itinerary (more or less), (c) G Adventures

"Namibia is Africa for beginners" I read in a travel guide while preparing for the trip. I wasn't too unhappy to hear that Namibia was a very easy-to-travel and quite safe country. For me, my mum and sister it was the first time in Africa. Ok, we had seen Morocco but that somehow doesn't really count. :-) 

We started our trip with an overnight-flight from Zurich to Johannesburg (South Africa) and continued to Windhoek (Namibia). We were welcomed by heat. A great surprise if you come out of the snow!!

Windhoek, the capital city of Namibia, didn't really fascinate us. Probably we were already in the mood for nature and safari, but Windhoek is also quite western and modern. With its several German names for streets and buildings, we even didn't feel very far from home!

Windhoeks landmark, the "Christuskirche" in the middle of a roundabout, seen from the terrace of the National Museum
Windhoek - funny, but very western. 
Tintenpalast - seat of the parliament of Namibia



The National Mueum with a statue of Sam Nujoma, former president of Namibia
 We visited the Botanical Gardens in Windhoek which was really nice. We found some plants that surprised us. What do you think about the Sausage Tree down below? 

Sausage Tree
In the evening, we met our G Adventures group -  a very funny bunch of mostly Canadians - and our guide Bryson. We had a wonderful first evening and were keen on starting our trip the next day.

Early in the morning, we started our bus ride towards Etosha Nationalpark. The landscape soon started to change. We were fascinated by the open spaces. Whereas there are around 200 people per km2 in Switzerland, in Namibia there are around 2.5. We barely saw another car while driving and wondered if we would feel claustrophobic back home. 


Then we continued our drive and arrived in Etosha Nationalpark some hours later. With 20 000 m2, this park is huge! And as if they had heard our wishes, soon after the entrance gate, the first animals showed up. A welcome commitee? 




We arrived at our first campsite, called "Okakuejo". This place was fantastic, it was located next to a big watering hole which obviously was well known by the animals. In the evening, we sat down at the watering hole and waited. And this was worth it!! 






We were in awe to see all those animals that we just knew from pictures or the zoo! I could have stayed there for hours! 

The next day we get up early to go on our first safari. Here I let the pictures speak.What a great day it was! 






















The time we spent in Etosha NP was much too short, I would have loved to go many more game drives. But our trip continued and we drove to Swakopmund, a town on the Kalahari Highway and known as a center for outdoor activities. I liked this town quite a lot, it is small, next to the sea and the dunes and full of charm - aaand: full of German influences too! Or would you have thought that you can find a "Buchhandlung" (bookshop) in Namibia? 

Danger! Pumba ahead! 



Swakopmund pier

There are a lot of fantastic restaurants in Swakopmund. My favourite was the "Tiger Reef"- restaurant, a beach bar next to the sea. Isn't it lovely? 


Dunes next to the "Tiger Reef"-restaurant

After Swakopmund, we continued our journey towards the Namib desert, the oldest desert on earth. Well, at least that was what we had intended to do, but... 


With some (wo-)menpower, we finally managed our bus to get going and so we headed off into the desert. Also here we were fascinated by the width and this endless space. 




We reached the Tropic of Capricorn, one of the five major circles of latitude on the worldmaps and the southernmost latitude where the sun can be directly overhead (thanks, Wikipedia! :-) ). 


Another very funny stop was in Solitaire, a small place with only a gasoline station, a bakery, a cafe, and a little grocery store, known to be the only one between the dunes of Sossusvlei and the coast. 



We arrived in the Namib-Naukluft-Nationalpark (23'000 m2 big!!) and on our campground named "Sossus Oasis". It was extremely hot so we were veeery happy to find a pool at the campground (quite bizarre, a pool in the middle of the desert, but soo nice!!)

Desert camping
We slept very well in our tents, even if we heard strange and scary noises during the night (obviously some jackals strolling around). The next  day was one with many highlights. We explored the red dunes of Sossusvlei. We were there early and watching the sunrise that slowly turns the dunes into bright red was absolutely stunning! 

Sunrise at Sossusvlei



The most famous dune (even if it's not the highest one) is "Dune 45". It is quite touristy, but because we were that early we were there before all the other groups. We climbed up the dunes - thank god the sand was still quite cold! The view was just amazing! 

Dune 45




We continued to another highlight - the Deadvlei. It is a clay pan surrounded by "Big Daddy", the highest dune in the world. In the early days, there was a river in this region which let trees grow. When it got blocked by the sand dunes, the water pools turned into clay and the trees died. Nowadays its a quite spectacular clay pan with a lot of very old trees. 



 we visited Sesriem Canyon, about 1 kilometer long and 30 meters deep. To walk in it was a very nice experience! 




In the evening there was another highlight. We were sitting comfortably on our camping chairs eating dinner when we suddenly felt the first drops on our heads. Rain in the desert? We couldn't believe it! But then it started to pour quite heavily and we had to flee into the tourbus. After some minutes, it was over again and turned the desert into a magical light. And what was even better: The temperatures had fallen. You can imagine how wonderfully we slept that night after a very hot day in the desert! 

The landscape after the rain
The next day we continued our journey towards Ais-Ais, known for the natural hot springs. 




Our bags were full of sand when we unloaded the bus

A baboon (in Namibia called "Criminal") checking out a holiday bungalow

The plan was to continue the next day and to visit Fishriver Canyon, the biggest canyon in Africa and the second biggest in the world (after Grand Canyon in the USA), but because of the heavy rainfall the night before, the road was closed. So we changed plan. The roads were indeed...um... let's say interesting. We were quite sceptical if our bus would made it, but our driver was great - and the bus off course too! :-) 




Once out of the desert landscape, it turned green again. What a pleasure after all the grey-brown-reddish days! :-) 


We arrived at the "Norotshama River Resort" and felt like kings. After the days of camping, this was just perfect. 





The next day we already had to say goodbye to Namibia and we crossed the boarder to South Africa. We stayed in Lambert's Bay, a cute little town. There we visited "Bird Island", known for its colony of Cape Gannets.





In the evening, our guide surprised us with a wine tasting in an openair-restaurant "Muisbosskerm" next to the beach. Wow! Wine, beach, warmth - what do you wish for more? 



Nelda van Zyl aka "The Winetender" - she is doing fantasting wine tastings!
You can imagine that the drive back to the hotel after the tasting was quite loud and funny. And you can also imagine that we all slept like logs afterwards! :-) 

Sadly, the next day was already our last. We drove to Capetown and had to say goodbye to the group. Those 12 days were fantastic, we met a lot of awesome people, saw amazing landscapes and could experience Namibia for its best. For our tourmates it was time to go home, for my family and I it was start to get ready for chapter 2 of this adventure: South Africa! 






----------------------------------------------
A few tips for Namibia

WINDHOEK

In my opinion, Windhoek is not really worth to see. But if you're there anyway, here are some tips that you could do there. 

  • Christuskirche & National Museum: This church is located on a roundabout and is nice to see. The best view you have from the terrace of the restaurant in the National Museum. The museum itself is worth a visit, it is free and gives you a good insight in Namibias history.
ETOSHA NATIONALPARK

In Namibia, you shouldn't miss this amazing park. It's huge but the chances to see the "Big 4" here are good (no "Big 5" because there are no buffalos in Namibia). If you're lucky you get the chance to see a black rhino, a species that was declared extinct in 2011 but has now grown again. If you want to stay overnight I recommend the "Okakuejo Rest Camp" where you can camp or rent a bungalow. It is the perfect place to go on a safari or just sit at the watering hole and wait for some furry visitors to come. The place is very nice with a restaurant, a shop, good sanitary facilities and braai-places on the campsite. 

SWAKOPMUND

I really liked this little town at the sea. It is a very funny place where the time seems to have stand still for some years. A lot of street names are in German, you even find a "Buchhandlung" there (a very good one though!!). It is so nice to walk at the beach there, to go shopping, to visit a museum - there are a lot of options! Here are some recommendations.

  • Where to sleep: "Hotel Europahof" is a very nice hotel, just 5 minutes away from the beach. We enjoyed it very much! 
  • Where to eat:
    • The Tug: right at the beach, very good food and a funny martime style. We loved it! 
    • Village Café: a very cute café in the middle of the town. Fantastic for breakfast, very nice staff. 
    • Tiger Reef: A restaurant just at the beach. Nice food, easy atmosphere. 
  • What to do:
    • Visit the Swakopmund Museum: A small museum with a surprising good collection of memorabilia. Told us a lot about Namibias history, the indigenous people and animals. 
  • Where to shop:
    • Buchhandlung: a fantastic book shop with both german and english books. 
    • Waga Waga (25 Sam Nujoma Drive): a small shop with nice clothes and a very nice integrated café. 
NAMIB-NAUKLUFT-NATIONALPARK

This nationalpark is huge and fascinating. The red sanddunes are breathtaking and shouldn't be missed out. Make sure you climb the Dune 45 and visit the Deadvlei. It is also nice to see the Sesriem Canyon
We stayed at a campground called "Sossus Oasis Campsite". I liked it very much, we had our own showers and bathroom and the pool was very refreshing. There is also e luxurious resort next to the campground for those who like the comfort. 

NOROTSHAMA RIVER RESORT
A wonderful resort that I highly recommend. Very friendly staff, beautiful bungalows, fantastic views and great food. 

LAMBERT'S BAY

  • Make sure you visit the "Bird Island". There you can observe thousands of cape gannets which is quite impressive. 
  • Don't miss the "Muisbosskerm" openair-restaurant at the beach. It is buffet style and the food is delicious. 
  • If you are interested in wine, make sure you arrange a winetasting with Nelda van Zyl, aka The Winetender (--> Link). She knows a lot about wine, the tastings are very interesting and funny, even for not-drinkers.


Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop

Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back.  So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here.  Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-)  Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam,  I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven'

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th