Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Hamburg - or: A weekend trip in 50 shades of grey...




A week ago, I spent a family-weekend in Hamburg, Germany. I had visited this city before but only for 2 hours, so I was very happy to have 4 days to explore it again - and I wasn't disappointed! Even if we had rain for almost 2.5 days without stop, we got to know the city quite well. And let me tell you: Also in grey, Hamburg is very worth to visit! :-) 

We took the night train from Basel at about 9 p.m. I love this way of travelling as it gives you time to prepare mentally for the destination. Aaaand the other good thing: I always sleep like a log in trains! That's why we arrived happily and with enough energy in Hamburg the next morning at 8 a.m. 

On our way to our Air B'n'B, we crossed the Mönckeberg-street, some beautiful old brick houses and the city hall with its big square. 









We also crossed the Alsterarkaden. Don't these arcades remind you a bit of Venice? Actually the prices of a coffee there is really similar to the ones at Marcus square in Venice! :-) 






We walked to my personal highlight of my last very short Hamburg-trip: The Landungsbrücken (in English: St. Pauli Piers), the biggest landing place in Hamburg's harbor. I love the maritime atmosphere there - the shops, the cafés, the views (boats, ships and the Elphilharmonie in the background)... Amazing! 



Is he might be dreaming about the big waves and the freedom of the sea? 



Another great view is the newly built Elbphilharmonie (Elbe Philharmonic Hall, or short: Elphi), on of the largest concert halls in the world. It is not only famous by its architecture (designed by the famous architects Herzog & de Meuron and built on top of  traditional warehouse building) but also for it's price - as it cost 10 times more than it had been calculated... Too bad the tickets are almost always sold out. I would have loved to go to a concert at Elphi! 


A must when you're in Hamburg: A harbor cruise on boat. We decided to do two tours (a big one to the harbor surroundings (2 h), and a short one along the canals of the old warehouse district (Speicherstadt). We were all very impressed about this huge harbor! Driving along ships that are more than 300 m long is quite scary!! 

We also saw...

... little beaches...



... biiig ships...









... and logistical challenges! Wow!







When we had land under our feet again, it soon started raining at was freezing cold, so we decided to seek shelter from the weather. What we found: The Old Elbe tunnel (or: St. Pauli tunnel). This tunnel was built in 1911 and is 24 m beneath the surface. It is quite fascinating, sas it connects the center of Hamburg with the other side of the river (mostly docks and harbor). It is open for pedestrians and bicycles, but at specific times of the day it can only be used by cars. It is quite a funny feeling to walk in a tunnel if you think about all the water you have above your head (as long as you don't think about possible holes...)! 




We were lucky and had picked a fantastic air b'n'b appartment in Hafen City, a new neighborhood of Hamburg, very near to the center. There, we found a lovely café, run by a very chatty, Albanian woman. "Café Irma" was our favourite spot for morning coffees and a gooood and healthy breakfast! 








On day 2 (still raining, but for your entertainment let's say at least in a different shade of grey) we went up early and after a visit at Irma's, we took the tube to the "Fischmarkt" (Fish market), a veeery cool place to be in the early morning - either after a night out at the Reeperbahn for the first (and last) beer or to start your day with good humour. 
Outside of the beautiful market hall you can buy everything you want and don't want: fresh fish, fruit baskets, chocolates, things for your kitchen, clothes- everything! The screams of the seller while trying to sell their thing in the last minutes are veeery funny! And you don't have to be surprised if you find yourself at the end with a whole box of fresh mangoes or  a small tree - that's completely normal! :-)  

At the inside of the old market hall you can have brunch or a beer and there are bands playing - the atmosphere is amazing! 














After the funny stop at the "Fischmarkt", we experienced "Elphi" again...



... and then explored my favourite part of the city: The old warehouses district, the "Speicherstadt". I love the atmosphere with the brick houses and canals!  Today, the Speicherstadt is on the list of UNESCO world heritage, but some of the buildings are still used as warehouses, mostly for the carpet production and other goods like coffee, tea, spices or cocoa. I can almost smell coffee and chocolate when I see the pictures! :-)











The next highlight of our Hamburg-trip: A visit to the "Miniatur Wunderland", a museum famous for it's model railway. I could have never imagined how fun it is to visit! There is so much to see, so many buttons to click on and so much to laugh! It is hard for me to explain why this attraction is an absolute MUST when in Hamburg (I also had my doubts when my friends told me about it, but trust me: You won't regret it!!), so I let the pictures speak... 
















Another must on your trip to Hamburg: The Reeperbahn (or: Kiez, or even more simple: the most sinful mile), Hamburg's famous red light district and THE place to be for Hamburg's nightlife. Also here, I won't be able to transmit the special atmosphere in this districts while writing about it. But let me tell you: I was amused, amazed, shocked and impressed at the same time! 




The Reeperbahn is well known for being the place where the career of The Beatles began. Nowadays, they even have their own square there! 





Setting change, another shade of grey, but still rain: We decided to do a Free Tour around the St. Pauli-district, not only known for the Reeperbahn or its soccer club but also for the alternative scene there. It didn't make us feel good when the guide told us that one day before, a man was stabbed here, but still: St. Pauli has its charm! 

The St. Pauli park was built after kids had been encouraged to hand in ideas for designs. 2 ideas won: A flying carpet and an island with palms. Do you see them?



At the third day, finally the sun came out, so we decided to see Hamburg from above. For this, church towers are always a good idea - and the St. Michael's church (shortly "Michel") is probably the best one. The view from above is fantastic! 















Finally, the sun came out. Off course we had to compensate our lack of vitamin D, so we sat down in a cozy deck chair at the "Hamburg del mar"- bar, next to the harbor and the Landungsbrücken. Isn't it great?


Chillin' in a deck chair, with Elphi in the background, an ice cream and a cold drink - can it get any better? 













One happy tourist



Hamburg has a looot of fantastic places and spots to stay and drink a beer or coffee. One of my favourite places was the "Erste Liebe Bar" (german for "First love bar") in the city center. I loved the stylish interior (very reduced to the max)! And trust me, in a bar with such a name, you can be sure you will have very philosophical and interesting talks! :-) 







Sadly, after 3 days of a lot of great sights and experiences, we had to leave Hamburg and to go back home. We ended our trip with a stop at "Alex" at the Binnenalster - off course with fantastic, warm summer weather - how mean is that?! 

The trip to Hamburg was really cool and I really liked the city. There would be so much more to see and do, so I guess it won't have been the last time I was there! But next time, pleeeeease give me 50 shades of BLUE!! :-) 


My tips for your trip to Hamburg: 



Where to stay: As we had booked an Air B'n'B in the Hafen City- neighborhood, I cannot recommend you a good hotel. But what about try your luck with Air b'n'b? :-)

Where to eat: There are too many good restaurants, so you won't find it difficult to find a good one. We had delicious dinner at "Singh" (Steindamm 35), an Indian restaurant. On this street you will find a lot of other interesting restaurants if you like foreign food. We also tried a greek restaurant near the famous Reeperbahn called "Taverna Hellas" (Davidstrasse 29). A lovely spot for having breakfast is at "Irma's Café" (Sonninstrasse 22) or the "Erste Liebe Bar" (Michaelisbrücken 3). If you need a drink and it's good weather try out one of the beach bars next to Landungsbrücken. We tried the "Hamburg del mar" and loved it! 

What to do:

  • Do a harbor cruise: Even if it sounds not very exciting trust me it is! On this 1- or 2h-cruise, you will experience this huge harbor from a different sight and learn a lot about it! Aaand: You have a great view over Hamburg's skyline!
  • Visit the Landungsbrücken: one of the nicest spots in town - but also one of the mst touristy places. From there you can take a ferry for a harbor cruise or to get to the musical theatres. 
  • Visit the Speicherstadt (the old warehouse district): simply because it's beautiful! 
  • Visit the St. Pauli - district or better: Do a free walking tour there as it gives you extra information! And off course, you should also visit it by night as it is especially legendary for its Reeperbahn. 
  • Visit the "Fischereimarkt" (Fish market) on Sunday morning - you will love the rumble, the noises and the funny things you can buy there. But make sure you get up early - the market closes at 9:30!!
  • Visit the "Miniatur Wunderland" - one of the most fantastic "museums" I have ever seen. There is so much to see and do in this miniature world that you could easily spend 2 full days there. I highly recommend you to book your tickets in advanced as it is the most popular museum in Germany and the queues are always loooong... 
  • Explore the old town around the city hall. It is great for shopping or just having a cup of coffee. 
  • Climb the tower of "Michel" (St. Michaels Church) - from there you have a wonderful view over the old town and the harbor! 



Beliebte Posts

Uganda in a nutshell - my one week roadtrip

  I never thought that my long-cherished dream would actually come true - especially during this difficult time and after postponing the trip once and later almost cancelling once. That I would actually fly to Uganda in the midst of disputed elections, travel warnings and the Covid crisis. How grateful I am that for once I ignored the doubts and fears of my friends and family and dared to go . It could have gone totally wrong. It didn't. It worked out so perfectly that I am still a bit afraid that something bad will happen now (but after one week at home now I guess I will be ok!). I made a lot of new friends, treasure so many beautiful memories and am full of inspiration. I excuse myself in advance just in case my enthusiasm will be to big. But be sure that in reality it is even much bigger! There would be so much more to share! I would like to start with the 2nd part of my journey. After an incredibly educational and inspiring week on Ngamba Island, a sanctuary for orphaned chimp

My Patagonian Dream - Part 1: Hola, Buenos Aires!

The love story between Patagonia and me is quite strange. I had never planned to go there. I didn't even know where it is until I dreamed of it one night. I dreamed I was there. And it was nice. Reeeally nice. The next day I woke up confused and asked google where Patagonia was (all I had seen of it before was the logo of an American outdoor clothing brand with the same name). Checked the pictures. Fell in love. That was it. The start of a long-held dream that finally came true this November.  Because this trip was so varied, I will write about it in several posts. Time-hopping is exhausting, so let's start at the beginning.  I'm Swiss. And I like it organized. That's why my preparations started early. My bag was packed weeks before (itchy feet, itchy feet!) and the whole range of Argentinian Malbec-wine was drunk (acclimatisation, you know - but don't worry. the range in Switzerland isn't that big...) when I finally took the plane to Buenos Aires v

Welcome to Hel... (sinki)! Or: How I fell in love with a bus stop

Finland... Already when I think about it, I get quite nostalgic and strangely also a bit homesick. Two years ago, I did an exchange semester in Mikkeli, in the south of Finland, and fell in love with this country. I don't know what it is, but Finland has something that just makes me happy. That's why from time to time I get the feeling that I just have to go back.  So I did last week. Read about my 4 day-trip to Mikkeli and Helsinki here.  Warning: If you don't like nostalgic posts then you better just look at the pictures! :-)  Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki and bus ride to Mikkeli One of the few good reasons to get up at 4 o clock in the morning is travelling. I took the plane at 7 in the morning and after a short stop in Amsterdam,  I landed in Helsinki with a big smile on my face. It already felt like home when I came out of the small airport, when I saw the finnish and swedish signs at the bus stop and when the bus driver said "Terve!" to me  (I haven'

Acqua alta for beginners - a weekend in Venice, Italy

" "All cities are the same, except Venice, it's a bit different" had written Friedrich Torberg in his book "Die Tante Jolesch". He was right! Venice is different. And that's why I love this city more than any other! Venice is unique. Romantic. Wonderful. A dream! A city that you have to see!! Discovered in December 2011 with the family" (Me in my travel diary, 2011) My opinion about Venice hasn't changed much in 6 years (except that I find it a bit less romantic nowadays... :-) ). Since a long time, Venice is one of my favourite cities. So I decided to go back.  Everyone asked me if it was a good idea to do this in December, and all I can say is: YES! It is!! There are much less tourists (still too much though), it is less smelly (at least that's what I've been told) and the atmosphere is very special - can you believe that I was more in christmas mood that at home, even if all the christmas markets and the snow were missi

The End of the world (and my Patagonia trip) - Meet the penguins!

Do you remember that I had written about our guide asking the group the first day about our motivation to come to Patagonia in one of my previous posts? The landscape, the hikes, the food... And the penguins? To be honest... The penguin-answer came from me. Since a long time, I love those little animals. Especially their clumsy way to walk (maybe there are some similarities??) make me laugh all the time. That's why the last day in Ushuaia was a real highlight for me!  I really liked Ushuaia - not only because of our luxury hotel! This city has a very special atmosphere! With its fascinating history (from great and important explorations to the sad history of the native Yamana) I had the feeling that there is still something in the air. And even if there is a Hard Rock Café nowadays, Ushuaia seems to keep its old, adventurous spirit.  I wasn't the only penguin fan in my group. The plan was to visit the penguins by boat, but some of us wanted to see them from very near. Th